I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4

Monday, October 4, 2010

Easy Snack - Rice Pudding


I love rice pudding.  It brings back memories of my childhood and my mother, as it was a staple she made almost every week.  My mother was a very good cook.  She died of cancer 18 years ago, when I was in my late 20s.  I think of her every time I make these.

It really is a very easy snack/dessert. Rice pudding isn't very sweet, but it hits the spot. 

Rice Pudding

I usually double this recipe.  As it is, it serves 4.

3 cups milk
1/3 cup white rice
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)

Bring milk to a boil, then add rice.  Lower the heat and cook until most of the milk is absorved.  It should not be dry but rather of the consistency of a thick sauce.  Mix in sugar, then pour into a glass dish, cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool on the counter, then refrigerate.

Some people like it hot, especially on a cold winter day, with cinnamon or cocoa powder and sugar sprinkled on top.  On warm days, I prefer it cold with a ginger snap cookie...  Enjoy!


For more recipes ideas, follow click on these linky parties I'm participating in:  Meatless Monday, and Saving Second Base.

2 comments:

  1. Love me some rice pudding. Love it with the cookie garnish!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely comforting dessert! I often think of my Mom when I'm making the things she cooked as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails