I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4

Friday, June 5, 2015

Success!

What a year this has been.  In retrospect, I am thankful for many things.  We had a full year with ups and downs, as always.  Of my curriculum choices, I am very happy with a switch to BJU in math.  I had never used their math curriculum before for middle school.  I had stuck with Saxon Math for years.  It wasn't working so well with Michelle, and BJU was just right.  I've decided to break with Saxon, after so many years.  Their system of random review problems at the end of the lesson, with just a few practice exercises on what was taught that day really was confusing.  The traditional, incremental approach taught in the BJU program is excellent.  There are review problems at the end of each chapter, and this is still very important!  So, I am very happy to have taken the plunge.

I updated my SAT post with the latest news from a couple of months ago.  Michael won the National Merit Scholarship, and we are so happy!  He will be going to the University of South Florida, our local college, part of the Florida university system.  Because he plans on going to graduate school, this was the best choice for him financially.  Living at home, we will be saving a substantial amount of the scholarship money he will receive each semester and will be in good shape to pursue graduate work when he gets his bachelor's degree.

Looking ahead at 2016-17, because of work related issues, we may be having to spend some time in Maryland this summer.  There is a threat of strike at Don's company (Verizon), which means we will have to go up there at a moment's notice for him to fill in for an unknown length of time.  What this means is that I will have very little time to pack and run.  I plan on starting school on the first week of July this year in order to make up for this potential disruption...  not knowing when and for how long is the hardest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails