I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4

Monday, September 6, 2010

Baking Cakes

One of the things most homeschooling moms have to do is learn to be frugal. Living on one income has forced me to learn how to do many things myself instead of just buying them ready made, especially in the kitchen. We also try to eat as healthfully as possible, so that has also lead us away from eating out as much as we used to.  And, frankly, I just prefer homemade food over what most restaurants serve.  I have an MSG intolerance that has taught us that most restaurants load up on it, and MSG isn't good for anyone; so that's another reason to stay away, besides the need to be frugal.

I don't do hardly any baking during the summer, mainly because I don't want to heat up the house with a hot oven.  Come September, I am missing baking and cooler weather very badly.  So, I start baking, even though we'll probably not get the first cold front till mid-October.  I am a cool weather girl and love our winter weather.  So, Labor Day weekend begins baking season at my home.

We had guests for dinner on Saturday, so I decided to risk trying a new cake recipe.  I just couldn't wait.  I'd been reading up on cake baking tips, looking to improve my skills.  Two pointers I followed: all ingredients should be at room temperature and sugar and butter should be mixed for 10 minutes minimum.  It worked! I also learned how to put a chocolate ganache by watching a YouTube video. It was pretty easy!

Gold Cake

1 1/2 cups sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 t salt
6 eggs
2 teaspoons orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour two 2x9" cake pans. 
Beat butter and sugar for 10 minutes, minimum; then add one egg at a time till thoroughly incorporated intot he batter. While this is beathing, mix the rest of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Add extracts to the butter mixture, then add flour and buttermilk alternating four times with flour being the first and last ingredient to add.  Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out dry.  Cool in pans for 10 minutes. 

If you are using a ganache, cakes must be fully cooled and preferably refrigerated.  Cover with plastic wrap to refrigerate after cooling.

This video helped with how to pour the ganache.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails