I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4

Pages

Monday, November 14, 2016

Time well spent


Daily assignment sheets = time well spent

I thought I should post about them, as it would have helped me when I first started homeschooling.  My days flow much more smoothly since adopting this routine a few years ago when I had one child in high school, one in middle school, and one in elementary school.  Since our children's ages are widespread, I haven't had groups that I've lumped together using the same curriculum and subjects. This system has helped me keep up with very diverse learning styles and needs.


It is simple things like this, routine, and organization which helps keep our days and weeks flowing smoothly.  We all are clear on what needs to be done, so there is little confusion at the end of the week, when I collect all the work that wasn't checked daily, like math.  I spot check their work somewhat randomly during the week as well, which keeps everyone on their toes!  I do not advocate un-schooling by any means, it just isn't part of our worldview.  Everyone is happy when they have a set of assignments, no guessing involved, and a known stopping point.

I always keep a lesson plan book with about three weeks of plans into the future.  These daily assignment lists are pulled from my more structured and detailed lesson plan books every morning.  I add comments and additional work, tweaking what is in my plan book, based on how the previous days' work was done, fine tuning assignments to work on weaknesses or subjects of more interest.

There have been times when I have needed a more structured plan like this one, but after a couple of years, they got used to pacing themselves, and I was able to relax the assignment list, letting them chose which subjects to do first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails